Throw a little on corned beef, cover it with swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on rye bread and you have one of the best sandwiches around, the Reuben.
Melt. If you are, get The Rachel with seitan and some extra dressing on the side. It's definitely a winner.
If you're not around Melt I have a twist on the classic Reuben that might meet your craving. And when I say twist I mean its hard to even recognize this sandwich as a Reuben. But all the components are there.
Sauerkraut: quick pickled shredded Brussels sprouts
Cheese: pepper jack
Bread: ten grain
It's definitely funky but good 70's style disco type of funky that makes you want to dance with sandwich in hand. The sandwich comes together within 15 minutes and its a perfect weeknight dinner to serve alongside some steamed vegetables, potato chips or fruit. If tempeh isn't your style feel free to substitute chicken, sliced turkey or pork roast.
Have any other stellar Reuben variations you think I should know about? Please feel free to share!
Spicy Tempeh Reubens
1/3 block tempeh
1/8 t. all purpose seasoning
1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 slice pepper jack cheese
1 T. barbeque sauce
2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
1. In a medium skillet heat 1 t. olive oil over medium high heat. Cut tempeh into thin strips. Add to pan. Cook tempeh on each side for 5-7 minutes or until browned.
2. While tempeh cooks heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add a touch of oil and Brussels sprouts. Stir and cook until Brussels sprouts have started to brown slightly. Remove from heat and stir vinegar into Brussels sprouts.
3. Remove tempeh from heat and arrange slices into a stack roughly the size of your bread. Top with Brussels sprouts and slice of cheese. Cover pan with lid and allow the cheese to melt.
4. Spread barbeque sauce on one side of toasted bread. Using a spatula transfer tempeh, Brussels sprouts and cheese stack to other slice of bread. Place two slices of bread together and cut in half.
5. Add more barbeque if you life and enjoy!
What I'm Listening to Today
Flesh and Bone: The Killers
Runaways: The Killers
The Way It Was: The Killers