But like many things in life the good does come with the bad. Because while college really is great, there is no denying one simple fact.
College kids are dirt poor. Like work three part time jobs and still barely have enough money for food poor. Buying good nutritious food isn't a top priority, because who can afford it anyways? Pizza, Chipotle, McDonald's...they are all more affordable, right?
Never will you save money eating out every day.
Sure the Dollar Menu seems like a great option but you're paying a dollar per serving (which isn't really that impressive) and you get no leftovers. Wouldn't it be easier if you could just grab your lunch out of the fridge on your way out the door instead of having to stop at a restaurant?
A kitchen and $3.
I make a variation of this soup every week and it for lunch every day. Because I too am a poor college kid. I'm not in school anymore, but when your internship pays you less than $2 an hour, you have to become resourceful.
The recipe is very basic:
And even better the recipe makes roughly 10 servings so each cup of soup costs about a $0.25. Suddenly that dollar snack wrap from McDonald's doesn't look so impressive now does it?
For my soup this week I used this combination:
- Black Beans
- Canned Tomatoes
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Shredded Brussels sprouts and jalapeno
- Chili powder, cumin, minced garlic, cayenne, unsweetened chocolate, brown sugar
Plus let's not forget the money you'll save down the line on your medical bills if you eat soup every day instead of that McDouble. I know your health as a 65 year old isn't on your mind when you're in college. But maybe it should be.
Just something to think about while you slurp your soup.
College Kid Soup Suggestions
- white beans, tomatoes, frozen spinach, rice, garlic and dried basil/oregano
- garbanzo beans, tomatoes, frozen green beans, penne and dried basil/oregano
- lentils, tomatoes, frozen cauliflower, rice and curry powder
- kidney beans, tomatoes, frozen stirfry mix, rice and ginger powder
- black beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, rice and chili powder
What I'm Listening to Today
Fortunate Fool: The New Amsterdams
My Love Has Gone: Josh Rouse
Love the Lie: Jf Robitaille