It is very easy to tell these two types apart.
Those who do not own cats will smile politely while you drone on about how your cat runs into your room every time it hears your alarm or how without fail it will sit on anything rectangular be it your computer, a stack of magazines or a piece of paper on the floor. They will pretend to be listening but on the inside they're wondering, 'how long until I can just walk away from this?'
Rudy + turmeric dyed lentils + no supervision = very bad decision on Mom's part.
I've had a mild food aversion to Indian food after an unfortunate case of norovirus, but this is the perfect recipe to ease back into Indian flavors. If you have family members or friends who can't stomach the full curry experience, this is the dish for them.
Eye of the tiger, dah, dah dah dah...
And by the way if you're struggling to find red lentils at your grocery store, Trader Joe's has a decent sized bag for I think $1.99. Which is a steal.
I'm always looking for new recipes that feature lentils, so if you one to pass on leave me a comment!
Indian Lentils with Quinoa
Slightly Adapted from Meatless
1 t. cumin
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 t. dried minced garlic (or 4 gloves fresh garlic, minced)
2 T. ginger, minced
1 t. turmeric
1/2 t. curry powder
1/2 t. graham masala
2 cups dried red lentils
1 cup dry quinoa
1. In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin, onions, minced garlic and ginger. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add turmeric, curry powder and graham masala. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add 5 cups of water and the lentils. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
4. In a medium sauce pan combine quinoa with 1.25 cups water. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
5. To serve add 1/2 cup quinoa to bowl and top w/ 1/2 cup lentil mixture. Top with tzatziki if you'd like. Keep an eye out for cats and enjoy!
What I'm Listening to Today
Reminds Me of You: Van Morrison
Breath of Life: Florence + the Machine
Blood Red Sentimental Blues: Cotton Jones
For you cat people that need a laugh.