Because not only did I come home and start cooking dinner, I chose to make something really time intensive so at 9 o clock I was finally sitting down to dinner. Now that's what you call love.
Strange how my mind works right? Cutting up jell-o and spooning up pre-made coleslaw can cause the mind to wander to interesting places.
this, but have yet to get around to it. Instead I subbed in 1 cup of spelt flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour for 2 cups of the AP flour in this recipe.
Verdict? I couldn't tell a difference. Spelt flour is great because it adds extra fiber and has a nice nutty taste that complements the whole wheat flour. That being said I didn't think the rolls tasted "healthy" in the least. But then again I usually like "healthy" foods so I might not be the best judge...
Homemade Chick'n Bahn Mi* Style Sandwiches
Adapted from Kelly Annie
1/2 cup warm water
2 1/4 T. packages of yeast
1 T. sugar
2.5 cups warm water
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups AP flour (you can use 4 cups of AP instead of the two flours below)
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1. Combine yeast with 1/2 cup of water and sugar. Let sit for five minutes.
2. Combine yeast and water mixture with remaining water, butter and flour. Mix until a wet ball has formed.
3. Add mixture to stand mixture or turn out onto floured surface. Lightly knead dough and continue to add flour until a easy to handle ball forms.
4. Put ball in an oiled bowl and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400. Shape dough into roll sized portions and position on cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. All to cool slightly before use.
2 bunches of pak choy, sliced
3 carrots, coarsely grated
1 cucumber, julienne
2 garlic scapes, chopped
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
Generous pinch of red pepper flakes
2 t. sugar (or more to taste)
1-2 t. ground ginger
1. Whisk vinegar through ground ginger together in small bowl.
2. Combine vegetables in large bowl and pour vinegar mixture on top. Mix well to combine. Allow to sit for approximately 1 hour or longer.
To Construct Sandwich:
1. Cook chick'n (or real chicken) according to package directions or preference. Place on one side of cut bun.
2. Place a heaping handful of slaw on top. Spread sweet red chili sauce on other side of bun. Close the lid, cut in half and enjoy!
*I know these aren't true bahn mi sandwiches because I don't have the right type of bread. Hence the necessary style in the title. This is okay for this recipe, but ofter foods that use style in the description approach with caution...I mean homestyle?? Why not actually make it at home...
What I'm Listening to Today
New Resolution: Azure Ray-->used to be obsessed with this song in high school. Seriously all I listened to for months at a time.
Lovers in Japan: Coldplay--> love this video.
In God's Country: U2-->speaking of obsession...